Monday, January 5, 2015

FAQs for eating low carb

Over the last year I have received many questions about eating low carb. One thing I want to point out first is "low carb" is not "no carb."  Almost everything has some carbs in it.  It's about making the right choices when you consume carbs.  Here are some of the most common:

Q: Do you cook something different for your kids?
A: No.  My kids are 3, 4 and 6 years old.  They eat what I cook or they can have a bowl of Cheerios for dinner.  I do make some adaptations, and I can't always cook some of the foods or side dishes I would like, but we always have plenty and we haven't pulled out the cereal yet.

Q: Do you count carbs?
A: No.  Maybe I should, but numbers have never been helpful to me.  It usually stresses me out, which doesn't help weight loss.  There are days my body needs more carbs or calories than normal, and I do not want to feel like I'm starving, so I just make good choices when choosing snacks.  If I need an extra string cheese and almonds, I figure my body is trying to tell me something.  Just do everything in moderation.  If you want to count carbs, the more carbs you consume, the slower the fat burn.  Around 50 carbs a day is a pretty fast fat burn.

Q: What foods do you try to avoid?
A: The obvious foods I avoid are breads, fried foods, and sweets.  If I have bread, I choose whole wheat.  If I want sweets, I choose low carb fruits or a light and fit Greek yogurt.  I have tried Bluebell's No Sugar Added ice cream and I like it.  I do not have it often, but if I'm craving ice cream, it's better than the real deal.  There are a lot of substitutes for carb-loaded loves, too.  One of my favorites is lettuce wraps! (I'll do a separate post soon about some other substitutes.)
Found at Walmart
Q: What do you do when you're on the go/out to eat?

A: Most fast food restaurants will wrap their burgers or sandwiches in lettuce for you.  They will also let you sub a side salad for fries (Ranch dressing is low carb!! The real stuff, not fat free).  "Sit-down" restaurants are easier to navigate.  They will have options that are healthy choices, just keep an eye on the side dishes and drink water or unsweet tea.  It's up to you on sweeteners.  Personally, I still use artificial sweeteners.  Right now I hear Stevia or Truvia are some of the most natural.  Agave is also a good choice.  

Here is a list of snacks and meals I came up with that you can prep and take on the go in the car if you're like my friend, Ashley, who is taking her son to sports stuff 3 nights a week.

Snacks
-cheese sticks & almonds
-low carb sausage balls
-boiled eggs/deviled eggs
-apples and peanut butter
-low carb brownie energy bites

Dinner
-Breakfast burrito (low carb tortilla)
-smoked sausage, apple, and cheddar cheese (kabob it for more fun)
-lettuce wrap chicken breast taco with carrots
-lettuce wrap burgers with strawberries
-ham roll up
-BLT (lettuce on the outside)
-low carb chicken salad




No comments:

Post a Comment